Our History

After purchasing the building from the Transport and General Worker's Union, the current owner, Melaine Caldow undertook a major renovation and Creggan Bahn opened as a care home in March 1997.

St Andrew's House as it was previously known seems to have been built in the 1870s, as the first record of its existence appears in the 1881 Census when it was occupied by a family named Alston. Around 1898 it was purchased by the Galloway family and was occupied by them until 1934. The 1901 Census records that Mr James Galloway occupied the house along with his wife and two children. Mrs Galloway's sister was also in residence, along with four servants. Together they occupied the building, which at the time had twenty rooms.

After 1934 St Andrew's House became a hotel for short time before being purchased as a convalescent home in 1941 by the Scottish Horse and Motormen's Association who were eventually incorporated into the Transport and General Worker's Union in 1972. Around this time, a large extension which now forms the West Wing was added to the original building which at the time had a Dining room which seated 66 people, a bar, Games Room and 30 bedrooms. Today, we have 50 residents occupying 46 rooms and a Day Care Centre catering for 20 people per day.

Accreditations